Friday, November 7, 2008

Expressive Portrait: Lynda Pontzer



For my portrait artist I chose Lynda Pontzer. From teen years Pontzer has created oil and pastel portraits which are one of my most favorite mediums to work with. She has attended Penn State University, Mercyhurst College, Cleveland Institue of Art and the University of Arizona. She has obtained a Masters degree in Art as well as History. Before leaving to explore Europe and the Far East, Lynda worked as an enviromental arts teacher just outside of New York. During her time perod in Europe she taught portraiture at the University of Roskilde, Denmark.

Lynda now lives in North Westeren PA. She paints landscapes around her home but still pursues her passion of portraiture. She has her own studio in which her students can paint landscapes and portraits as well.

I chose this particular artist because I love the reality of the people she paints. Pontzer has a way of making them colorful even if she only paints with black, gray and brown. Her colors are very vibrant and compelling but also authentic. Her technique of shading really makes her subjects appear dynamic. She can also capture the expressions of the individuals she paints very nicely. Without making each portrait repetitive, each one seems to hold its own mood. I hope to one day master oil and pastel portraits just as she has.

2 comments:

Unstable said...

That's my mom!!

Sue said...

Lynda & I swam together last September on a hot day. I napped on a rock & meanwhile little did I know she was doing a portait of me! What a nice gift--she is such a
fun-loving friend. I am so glad I asked to be in her art class. Since then we have remained great friends. Her work is so amazing. She captures the essence of God's great earth.